Thursday, April 29, 2010

Music and listening

I came to the conclusion the other day that I don't listen to nearly enough music. Sure, I have the stereo on in the car to and from work, and I do use an iPod, but that's not listening, it's background noise that happens to catch my attention from time to time.

When I was younger I used to make time to listen, really LISTEN. Sitting down, beverage of some kind, maybe a snack, dim the lights and put some music on. Listening to music was an active hobby. What nuance did I just hear? Have I ever heard that before? What new album should I try tonight? More and more that got replaced with, "eh, lets put some stuff on" while I go about the other things I do. The sad thing is, I don't think most people ever got to the point where they just listened, especially now in the age of a la carte music, let alone losing that time.

Anyway, the point is I need to make it a point to do this so, for the next few weeks, part of my routine is going to become listening to music. To foster this, i'm going to write about what i'm listening to, good and bad, and share. I think it will help me get re-engrossed in something I love so much, and it will give my readership and idea of what I like and don't.

Here's the question... Do you "listen"?

No comments:

Post a Comment